Monday, February 13, 2012

Horizons

I am always thankful for those people in my life who expand my horizons. Glenn Snyder would certainly fall into that category.

When I began working at Walkers, I listened to Christian rock music from the eighties and Tony Orlando and Dawn. I thought my tastes were quite broad. But Glenn, who had very unique tastes in music, movies and television, introduced me to far more.

Glenn was very passionate about his music and everyone knew it. So while we all took turns (or vied for a turn!) to choose the music, our co-workers always made a point of playing some of his every day.

I had vaguely heard of Tennessee Ernie Ford and knew Johnny Cash as “the guy who sang Ring of Fire.” But soon I was able to recognize Marty Robbins, Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, Tennessee Ernie Ford, and Walter Brennan. I still remember the first day I heard Gordon Lightfoot. “Who is this?” I asked Glenn. “It’s great!”

I soon learned words to the classic ballads and joined Glenn in singing “Red Headed Stranger” and “Big Iron” and so much more. The more I listened, the more I appreciated his tastes in music. When Glenn realized how much I was enjoying it, he began bringing me CDs of his old music which he had collected over the years.

I still listen to those often. It is great music and they bring back good memories of times with my friend and co-worker.

Apart from music, Glenn also introduced me to more old western movies and television shows than I could possibly name. Not only did I enjoy being able to share those with him, but I know he enjoyed having someone to share them with.

I’m glad I was open to what Glenn had to offer. My life is richer for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment